Week 1: Introductions – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 1: Introductions

Hi Everyone! My name is Maya Morse and I’m a rising junior studying History with a minor in Law, Justice, and Social Change. I’m super excited to be a part of DCERP and to have this wonderful opportunity to explore all that Detroit has to offer. My career goals include going to law school to hopefully practice some type of civil rights law and I have a particular interest in criminal justice reform, which makes my site, the Southwest Detroit Community Justice Center, the perfect fit.

The community within DCERP is unique and filled with people passionate about social justice, so I’m very excited to get to know everyone. To me, community means a place you can always go for support and friendship. I’m sure as the summer goes on, those benefits will continue to manifest for all of us.

Coming into this internship, my graphic design experience has come in handy with being able to design flyers and websites in order to most effectively communicate the organization’s mission. In past internships, I’ve had the chance to hone my research skills especially concerning the criminal justice system, so those skills are also being put to good use. I’m looking forward to learning more about grant writing throughout the summer, seeing how essential it is to the nonprofit space. There is extreme attention to detail and care put into every grant proposal, so it will be incredibly valuable to learn more about what makes a grant proposal stand out from the pack. I hope by the end of this program I have a better understanding of the nuances of working in the nonprofit sector. I would be especially proud if one of the grants I work on leads to the institution of a new program at the SWDCJC.

3 thoughts on “Week 1: Introductions”

1. Maya, this sounds like a great placement for you! Your graphic design skills were clear when you showed me that awesome poster you made for SWDCJC. Your site is lucky to have you! Learning about the grant writing process will be interesting and helpful in your future endeavors, I am sure. I can’t wait to see all that you accomplish by the end of the summer!

2. Hey Maya ! I am so glad that you are enjoying your time with your organization and that you feel like it will benefit you in the future. I am sure that the experience and skills you bring in will make your time at the center all that more valuable and effective. I can’t wait to see all that you are able to contribute and the things in store for you in the future!

3. Maya! Im so excited for you! Your internship for the summer sounds amazing and was definitely ranked highly on my own list. I also love that you are able to combine your scholarly and creative sides in your work there. I absolutely cannot wait to hear more about your experience with SWDCJC