Week One: We’re Just Getting Started! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week One: We’re Just Getting Started!

Hello Everyone! This is Jazzmyn Loyd (They/Them, She/Her). I am working with ProsperUs Detroit this summer. A little bit about myself, I am originally from Detroit, MI, I am currently learning Japanese, I have a 10yr cat named Mario and we’ve had him for all 10 years, and I am an INFJ, which is a personality type. Also I plan to major in Psychology and Organizational Studies to become a Industrial-Organizational Psychologist.

Community to me means a system of support and this support can come in many different ways. Due to this I became attracted to doing community work, I want to help build new support systems within communities. There are many people who still need help and are only just now being heard enough to receive that help. It is important to take part in building that community of support because not only does it help them, but it can inadvertently help people nationally or globally by creating a sort of chain reaction.

One strength that I have that can help me with my community project is that I can mix different ideas in order to create something new that will benefit numerous sides. In other words, I can be very innovative and I am very open to other’s ideas.

One skill or strength that I would like to acquire by the end of this program that I would be proud of is confidence and become further knowledgeable in research.

3 thoughts on “Week One: We’re Just Getting Started!”

1. Hi Jazzmyn!
    I love what you said about a communities having a system of support. I also think that is very important to have a strong community. I too want to develop my interdisciplinary and multi-perspective mindset to become a more innovative community leader. I can’t wait to see how you develop while you’re in the program!

-Aminata

2. Hi Jazzmyn,

I really liked reading your perspective on support systems and how they create chain reactions. I think the way you can synthesize different people’s ideas will be really valuable with your organization, they are lucky to have you!

I would love to see pictures of your cat!
    -Caitlin

3. Hi Jazzmyn, I really liked your point about the far-reaching impact of support systems. People who have been helped are able to help others and in my experience they typically do.