Week 6: Disciplinary Action – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6: Disciplinary Action

The word “disciplinary” is often used in schools to describe various types of punishments for misbehaviors. Some examples of disciplinary actions that may be taken by a school are detention, suspension, expulsion, or sending a student to the principal’s office.

– Google (educationattorney.com)

As I have been doing my research with the Detroit Public School Community District- Office of Homeless and Foster Care, I have been learning that a lot of these students that are experiencing homelessness (which could mean staying with friends/family, living in a hotel/motel, living in a shelter, or a car, etc.) are being disciplined for things they are unable to control. Some of these disciplinary actions they are receiving include being dropped from school because of missing a lot of school days and having to attend summer school to catch up on the days they missed. I think the DPSCD should revaluate their disciplinary action because a. lot of these students already have to worry about where they will sleep and when their next meals will be. They should not be getting punished for circumstances they can’t control.

2 thoughts on “Week 6: Disciplinary Action”

1. Hi Edisa,

I agree with your perspective on disciplinary action in schools. I think the schools often punish a student’s behavior but fail to address the root causes of why these kids are misbehaving. I think, not only more compassion/patience is required, but also a change in the system, as you said. It is said that kids need to start learning discipline at a young age, but in this case, they are merely learning about violence and unfairness. Also, by simply punishing their behavior then it is bound to occur again which is why the issue exists to this day and when they grow up. This is especially important in areas like Detroit where a lot of students are from lower-income households and may experience more stress and instability at home.

2. This is so disheartening to hear and it is such a big issue for rising generations. I definitely agree that the disciplinary actions need to be reevaluated to provide assistance rather than punishment for the uncontrollable. Discipline is useless and harmful for developing minds if it is over something they can not control. It can and will lead to deeper struggles in the future in many aspects of their lives if this continues. Children are very sensitive to what they are shown and taught so this definitely needed to be addressed, and not only that but adults should never treat children with such neglect. School should help, not harm.