Week 6: Great Experiences ! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6: Great Experiences !

I honestly can’t believe that we are in week 6 of DCERP already. The time has truly gone by so quickly. I feel like I am learning so much every week and having so many new experiences that I will cherish forever.

One of my favorite things about being here is being able to explore the city. One of my favorite places to visit has to be the Eastern Market. I love visiting all of the local vendors, smelling the great food trucks, and buying flowers for myself. Whenever my family or friends visit, that’s the first thing I show them because to me it is so representative of the city of Detroit as a whole. There are so many different cultures represented in the food trucks, vendor booths, and even the music playing outside. Close to the market, there are really cute shops.

The antique store at the Eastern Market is somewhere that I have been visiting since I was a kid. Every summer my family would visit the market then walk to the antique store and look around so it is nostalgic for me to now be living here and to do the same thing with my friends. There is a ton of vintage clothing and furniture and on the weekends they have other vendors in tents in their back parking lot. My favorite part of the store is the workers. The people who work there are so kind and helpful and they love to take a couple of minutes and just talk to you about your day. Detroiters really are some of the coolest and kindest people I’ve met.

I think my favorite food experience so far has been the Detroit Shipping Company. For Father’s Day weekend, my family all came to visit and we went there. It is built out of old shipping containers and has an incredible variety of food. There is Caribbean, Thai, Nepalese, Middle Eastern, and Canadian foods which are all incredible. My dad raised me to try any kind of food under the sun so I love any place that shows a huge variety like that. I highly recommend this place to any food lover.

Another great experience I had was today. Every Thursday, at Campus Martius, the park puts on a free outdoor movie event. This week, they showed “Encanto” and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra played movie scores live before the movie started. I went with Maya and it was such a beautiful night that I think that we will definitely go again next week. The park is one of my favorite places in the downtown area. It is so unique because its a big spot of greenery in the heart of the city. There are huge buildings on every side and the Q-line swings right by every once in a while, so its such a beautiful juxtaposition.

Having these amazing opportunities and experiences along with the work that I am doing has made this opportunity really great for me.