Week 7: Mexican Town – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 7: Mexican Town

This week we had the pleasure of visiting Mexican Town with one of the learning groups. I was immediately struck by the way that it felt like you were being transported out of Detroit and into a small Mexican town when we entered the area. The buildings were vibrantly colored. The streets were paved in a different way. Beautiful murals adorned the public spaces.

Getting to visit this historical and currently thriving community made me reflect on the diversity that Detroit contains. While in Detroit, I have had the opportunity to enjoy great food, beautiful art, and culture from Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and now Mexico. I think this stayed with me because of the way that it shows us that Detroit is a place of many cultures coming together and coexisting under one city’s identity. This is something that I have been reflecting on, as someone who is working in the city government, but it really sunk in during our time in Mexican Town.

2 thoughts on “Week 7: Mexican Town”

1. Edisa Niyifasha

Hi Rose,

I also loved seeing all of the diverse cultures that exist in Detroit. I just felt like these cultures are not seen as they should be. When someone thinks of Detroit, they don’t think about all the cultures that exist in it but rather think about the 7.2 area. I was also so glad to see that the building in Mexican Town was not gentrified or torn down like in some of Detroit. Hopefully, it stays that way because the murals just bring them back to life.

-Edisa 🙂

2. Hey Rose!
    So glad you enjoyed the trip to Mexican Town! I definitely love going there because you can experience a lot of Mexican culture so close to home!