Ninth Week in Detroit: Farewell and Foreword – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Ninth Week in Detroit: Farewell and Foreword

I’m really glad I got to know Detroit this summer. I loved learning about the history of the city and how it has evolved over time. As a pillar of the midwest with a chip on its shoulder, the character of the city made it feel very familiar. The city gave ample opportunities to recognize commonalities, celebrate differences, and build trust with those around me. My experiences this summer validated my assertion that approaching social interactions with respect and a willingness to engage leads to a wealth of valuable relationships. I met a lot of really cool people, whether it was through DCERP, DDP, or just the Wayne State basketball gym. As I said before, public spaces are important for building communities and I was glad to experience them as both someone using them and someone helping to build them. I’m happy to say that I definitely saw pieces of what makes Detroit special and I look forward to finding more in the future. 

Also, quick shoutout to JM3 cause I know he reads these stupid little blogs.