Hi all! This week has been rather exciting for me: I’ve gotten to help log footage for the DREAM Storytelling Documentary and help choose clips for their latest work sample. I’ve been working directly with my site supervisor, Dr. Perkins, at her house all this week and will be next week as well. I’ve learned a lot about all the moving parts of DREAM and the different arms, so to speak, that the organization has. While I have met a lot of the leadership in DREAM, Dr. Perkins was able to shine a light on different aspects of different roles I wasn’t noticing or didn’t know about before.

Getting to see the footage of the community, volunteers, and workers of DREAM has also aided by showing visually how everyone works together and how in a community organization like DREAM that often overlaps with personal life. One of the things I like the most about DREAM is how tight-knit the community is and how this even follows through into the organization itself. Often you hear people say that you shouldn’t work with your family or friends but DREAM seems to act as proof this isn’t always true. I think one might argue that it actually helps the organization rather than make things more difficult.

Everyone is so welcoming and as I still meet more people in the community, I find these feelings about DREAM to be magnified and validated more and more. I think one quality the documentary film will capture is this community feeling that quite frankly I think is undeniable about DREAM. I’m really looking forward to logging and seeing more footage through this next week!

2 thoughts on “Week 4”

1. Hi Lauren! The DREAM documentary sounds like such a cool project and really important for telling the full story of the community you are working with. It is definitely important for films and documentaries to engage with the ones who the story is about every step of the way and to do the project with them, not just about them. I’m sure you have had a big impact on the film already and have learned a lot by choosing clips for it!

2. Hi Lauren, I appreciate all of your sharing in this post! I can hear through the tone of your blogging that you’re very excited to be learning about, being surrounded by, and working as a part of the community highlighted by your organization, and it’s really heartwarming. I look forward to seeing what you’ve been working on at the showcase and beyond:)