Week 5 Blog: The Qualities of Community-Engaged Work – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 5 Blog: The Qualities of Community-Engaged Work

I’m learning a lot about the kind of qualities that are appreciated in a person who does community-engaged work. The qualities that I’ve noticed are resiliency, compassion, grace, adaptability, positivity, creativity, critical thinking, affability, and discipline. These character traits come to mind in each leader that I meet at my site and beyond. The people who work at these organizations care a lot about their community. They arrive every day with the goal to help people through youth development programming, beautifying the neighborhood, or sharing useful resources. The really inspiring part is how interactive everyone is with each other. These organizations realize the similar goals they all uphold which is to create positive change in their society, so it’s helpful for them to work together. Also, I am motivated by these wonderful individuals who have taught me a lot about persistence and positive thinking. In the nonprofit world, it is common for plans to change. What is beneficial is to have a team of like-minded people who finds solutions when things go array. Community-engaged work is so powerful!

3 thoughts on “Week 5 Blog: The Qualities of Community-Engaged Work”

1. Thank you for your wonderful reflection Wisdom! I am glad that you’ve had such a positive and influential experience and want to acknowledge how YOU have been a positive influence this summer. I also want to thank you for taking the lead with inviting your mentor to be a guest speaker at one of our remaining meetings!

2. Hi Wisdom, I really liked and agreed with how you pointed out all the different qualities of a person doing community-engaged work! I’ve definitely found myself being inspired by my mentor and all the guest lecturers who have spoken about the community work they’ve done.

3. Emily Castaneda-Espinoza

Hey Wisdom! I’m glad that you’re surrounded by such strong leaders, it seems that you’re learning a lot from them. I agree that community-engaged work is powerful and motivated individuals (like yourself) keep it going.