Week 8 Blog – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 8 Blog

Hi everyone! I can’t believe that there’s only a week left of DCERP! This past week has been my favorite so far. Just yesterday, I attended the ADA celebration in which I helped host a table with the Office of Disability Affairs. Although it was a bit windy, we managed to keep all of our flyers in place with some rocks that my mentor had found! I also had the chance to finally interact with some community members and inform them of resources that may be of interest to them.

Then, on Tuesday, my mentor approached me to ask if I was interested in attending the Tigers game that was happening that night, to celebrate Disability pride month. At first, I was unsure if I should attend since it was last-minute notice and we typically have meetings at that time but then, I came to the realization that it’s not every day you’re given an opportunity like this. For the game, we were given a suite where a variety of leaders from the disability community joined us. I learned all about the jobs they worked and the progress they have made for the disability community. The mayor also came and joined us which was a nice surprise! It was fun getting to know so many different people and telling them about the work I’ve been doing at my site.

Through the time I’ve spent at the ODA, I’ve gained knowledge on the barriers that people in the disability community face. I’ve come to realize that I take many simple things for granted. Although every city has been accessible to me, it isn’t accessible to everyone. A set of stairs may prevent a wheelchair user from leaving their home and a lack of interpreters may prevent a deaf person from understanding their healthcare information. This is why I’m glad to be working with an organization that is working to combat inequalities like these and improve the quality of life for the disabled community. I’m looking forward to the rest of the time I have left as well as staying updated on the progress that’s made after I leave.

4 thoughts on “Week 8 Blog”

1. Claire Thomson

Hi Emily, it’s awesome that you had the opportunity to attend both the ADA celebration and the Tigers game – both events sound incredibly cool! I hope your last week goes well and you’re able to stay in contact with the organization in the future 🙂

2. Owen McAlister-Lopez

Hey Emily! I’m glad you got a chance to do some more interactive things this week. I think those kinds of events are the things that stick with us more. The ODA sounds like a really interesting organization too. They seem to be working on things that much of the rest of society often forgets to consider & I’m sure they are making a real difference.

3. Hi Emily, the work you’re doing at the ODA definitely sounds very interesting and meaningful from your reflection, and it’s really great that you’ve been able to attend the ADA celebration and also go to the Tigers game (which sounds very fun!)

4. Hi Emily, I love how working with this organization has helped you understand the unknowing barriers that those who are disabled may face and I feel like this is such an important reflection to have after working with people from communities different from yours!