Week Two – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Two

Week two was similar to my week one, but with a few extra twists. I saw even less of my supervisors, but they left me more than enough tasks to complete. I really enjoy the Green Garden’s atmosphere. Here at the office we also discovered that running microwaves, especially Panasonic brands, interrupt internet connections. We had a weird experiment with that entire situation having to place the microwave in some secret tunnel. Such generous souls also bring in refreshments for the Green Garden and it is just marvelous. Fresh Corner Cafe’ is also right above me. They have brought in everything from homemade oatmeal raisin cookies to apples and bananas. The Chi-tea I have daily helps get me through the day. Two fashion gurus come dress to impress and provide a good old chuckle.

Luckily with so much freedom in my work, I was able to create a power-point/preizi that I get to present at my old high school, Cass Tech. I have already grew into disliking coding as well. It is so tedious, but I understand why it is needed. Microsoft excel has so many useful tools, I just wish I would have been taught how to use it more effective in middle and high school. Working with surveys can be quite the headache especially when there are over 30 open ended questions. I thought I had bad writing, but now I feel so much better about myself. Fortunately next week will be the last time I will mainly be working in the office. I’ll be working with the students at the schools’ and markets’ preparing and selling food.

On a side note living at Wayne State is quite entertaining. One of the most remembered moments is when Caroline(sp) mistakenly thought Spivey’s and I room was her own. She spent about five minutes vigorously attempting to force her key in our door. Of course it didn’t work, but “luckily” for her our door was unlocked which enabled her to just casually walk in. Her face was priceless when she noticed she had stumbled into the wrong room. Now that was funny.