Rollin’…Rollin’: DHDC Post 6 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Rollin’…Rollin’: DHDC Post 6

Image

I walked into work this past Friday to find a surprise. It turned out there was an event taking place that night that I had no idea about. I found out about it in my first staff meeting (that’s right getting official) as the person in charge of DHDC said “So as I’m sure you all know … is taking place tonight.” I sat there quietly pretending to know as well although the truth was that I felt completely out of the loop.

However the event itself was not the surprise. During the meeting I found out the awful news that the caterer’s brother passed away. Because of this, the staff (the women staff) became in charge of the cooking. I rolled spring rolls FOR HOURS. 

Cutting veggies and rolling spring rolls was not in my work plan but sometimes you just have to “roll” with what life throws at you. It was a very fun experience because I got to talk with women in the office that I don’t usually work with. When doing community based research you expect to work with people in the city but Friday I got to experience community within the workplace and that was great.

1 thought on “Rollin’…Rollin’: DHDC Post 6”