Urban Desert – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Urban Desert

I don’t understand how it can get so HOT at 9am in the morning. Walking to work has been good since it’s basically my daily exercise but man the heat this past week has been merciless. Yesterday especially was super intense, walking back from work felt like I was inhaling heat and because I wasn’t wearing my glasses everything in the distance looked like a mirage! I felt like I was in the desert–I could literally see the heat waves coming off of the cement. Also, because the sun was right above us there was no shade to hide under..sighh. ANYWAYSS, heat complaints aside, this week has been moving by pretty fast. Last week we had our River Rouge community meeting and this evening we’ll be having our 48217 community meeting. We haven’t done as much work to prep for this meeting as the River Rouge one because we’re not hosting it by ourselves. Funny how our last seminar was on professional writing because this week at work I had to revise a flyer for the meeting 7+ times and all I could think about was our seminar. The flyer turned out great in the end but the work in progress was pretty tedious.

In addition to that, I’ve been working on my abstract and it’s actually kind of tricky because Kerrel and I are making two separate posters but they still have to complement each other. I’m doing mine on the White Cross Campaign but I’m struggling with how to write this abstract without leaving out anything Rhonda wants meanwhile maintaining the word count…But yeah that’s it for this week.

1 thought on “Urban Desert”

1. Im glad the seminar was applicable to your daily work! Ive also become very conscious of how i phrase certain things or present certain information since that seminar and have made many edits to my previous documents.