Week 8 Ramblings – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 8 Ramblings

This has been on the rougher side compared to my other weeks due to some foreseeable and some unforeseeable events. The unforeseeable event was that Pat was in this hospital this week. The foreseeable event was that we have had this newspaper due for a while now. The two don’t go together very well. I was stuck with all the pressure and commands of getting this paper sent to the graphics company. I learned a little something about emotional boundaries with nonprofits that one of the students from last year talked about in a seminar. I worked hard all week and there was a point when I just couldn’t stare at a computer screen any longer. Anyway, yesterday Pat came to the office (even though she should’ve been resting) to get this newspaper going and as we talked to the graphics lady, we had some last minute things to do but it was already 4:45pm. I really wanted to help but at this point, I was very tired and cranky and I knew I was at my limit so unfortunately I could not stay late to continue the work. I am a fairly task oriented person and I like to finish things by the end of the day…but I just couldn’t do it — learning a little something about how to say no.

On the bright side, the UM reception for Detroit interns was fun!! We got to meet Mary Sue Coleman and Royster as well as connect with other interns and eat some unhealthy food :). It reminded me of how awesome our school is!

2 thoughts on “Week 8 Ramblings”