Hau’s Week 9: Treasure Hunt – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Hau’s Week 9: Treasure Hunt

Image

My mentor taught me that to learn a city, we need to observe it by foot and with our five senses.  So, to experience Detroit, I decided to challenge myself to be more courageous and active by walking to downtown Detroit by myself.  The walk was long, but it allowed me to experience many emotions and scenes I normally do not get to see in Detroit as I sit comfortably in a car.

Image

Image

One of my observations is that I noticed many people in Detroit are friendly.  Some people may call me naive for liking the fact that people in Detroit greeted and smiled at each other on the street, but I like that the people have time to compliment each other and not have an overwhelmed face when passing each other on the sidewalk.  The compliment may mean nothing, but to me, I felt empowered by it because it makes me know I am not invisible in a large, busy city.  When I visited New York City or Chicago, I felt like a little ant marching around giant legos, but I felt like a treasure hunter as I venture around the different paths of Detroit.  I know that it may be dangerous to interact with some people in the streets of Detroit, but I do not think people, or at least me, should be held back by that fear and not greet people with a smile.  Life is hard enough, and the least thing we can do is to cheer each other up with a smile.

ImageI also learned that Detroit is an exciting place.  I was spontaneously invited to participate in  the fashion show at the 42nd Annual Arab and Chaldean Festival at Hart Plaza.  It was fun interacting with the people there because I know very little about the cultures represented by the region.  However, excitement can transform to be anxiousness as I had to walk home by myself at night.  Because I volunteered at the 42nd Annual Arab and Chaldean Festival, it was dark by the time the show ended.  I was alarmed and alerted as I power-walked my way home, and fortunately, I met some nice friends who walked with me for several blocks and protected me from strayed cats.  I made it home, safe and proud of my once-a-lifetime, spontaneous adventure to downtown Detroit.

ImageImage

Besides exploring Detroit, I was trapped with writing my research paper for Chiwara.  I was overwhelmed but fortunately, I can harvested potatoes when I am tired of writing.  Harvesting potatoes is one of my favorite activities!  There were so many golden potatoes hidden underneath the potato plants in the permaculture krater garden that I had such an exciting time digging for them.  I felt like I was digging for gold.  It was so much fun!  I was also cheered up by the growth of the sunflowers in the garden.  I felt so happy and comforted as I looked at them yearning for the warmth of the sun.  I felt like everything will be fine; my research paper will be done and I will see more happiness in my life as I seek for warmth.  I am extremely grateful that I can harvest and be proud of the sunflowers when I am stressed with writing my research paper.

ImageImage

1 thought on “Hau’s Week 9: Treasure Hunt”