Final Days at FOP – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Final Days at FOP

Today was a great way to end my last official day at Friends of Parkside. It was a day filled with 30+ children from the community. Today was field trip day for those who had returned permission slips, but due to the weather, it was too cold to go to the water park. So in place of a trip the kids were really excited about we organized a two-hour indoor event called “Fun Day”.

“Fun Day” took place in the community room our health fair was in a month ago. On the youth board are three employees/volunteers, but today it took the help of the entire staff to make it a considerably successful event. The decision to cancel the water park trip was decided the day before, so we had to think fast. In total there were 8 stations each kid could visit: the chess station, the ring toss station, the jump rope station (my station), the hula hoop station the dance/hustle station, the bowling station, the bottle cap station and finally the prize station. The kids were supposed to visit each table and receive a ticket before they could get a prize at the end. This did not work out because kids were losing tickets and revisiting stations, so everyone received prizes to eliminate the confusion.

Kids were running around, singing, dancing and just genuinely enjoying being kids. We had some group activities too like Simon Says, which they seemed to really enjoy. “Fun Day” lasted for two hours. While this was going on, I had to get ready for the staff Potluck, which started as soon as “Fun Day” ended. By the time it was all over, I just wanted my bed. All in all, it was a joy being a part of the kid’s enjoyment and the Potluck was awesome as well. 

2 thoughts on “Final Days at FOP”