From Dexter to Detroit, From Bare to Bountiful – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

From Dexter to Detroit, From Bare to Bountiful

Dear Meredith,

While writing this letter, you are taking periodic glances at the incredible view that encompasses you: the ambassador bridge, Motor City Casino, and the (first quarter) moon. Although you could see many, many more stars in the Dexter countryside, Detroit is full of bright people, places, and ideas. Detroit is an amazing city that shines brighter and brighter each day.

One bright star is the Neighborhood Services Organization (NSO). The NSO is a non-profit organization that provides a home and support services to individuals who have experienced homelessness. I am both blessed and humbled to work with the NSO throughout the course of this summer. It has been just three days, but I am head over heels with the NSO, the tenants and coworkers at the Bell Building, and all of the “good work” that is taking place. I am looking forward to contributing my talents to help transform the rooftop garden into a reality. I hope to build relationships with both tenants and coworkers and work together for the common good. Additionally, I am looking forward to adding new insights, creativity, spontaneity, optimism, and dedication to help revolutionize the surrounding built and natural environment.

I hope to expand and explore many horizons as a member of the Detroit Community Based Research Program. I hope to gain a clearer understanding of community-based research and how it applies in the broader community. I hope to become a more educated and active citizen and likewise create meaningful positive change in the world around me. I look forward to continuing to meet wonderful people and connecting with the Detroit community. I also hope that this experience will shed light on future paths.

photo 1

From bare to bountiful…

1 thought on “From Dexter to Detroit, From Bare to Bountiful”

1. Hey Meredith! I’m so glad that I met you and that you work here. Going to volunteer with you at the community meet and greet was so much fun. I can tell that you love your work and that you’re so passionate about the community. You even know basically everyone’s name. You are so special and I can’t wait to hear all about your experience reading your blog.