A letter to myself: Dear Julia – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

A letter to myself: Dear Julia

Dear Julia,

This summer for you was about exploring public service and policy at the local and state levels. Working as a legislative intern for Senator Carl Levin gave you a perspective of the political processes and culture of national government. At Michigan Suburbs Alliance, you are hoping to gain an insight of the inner workings of local government and the relationship/influence or role of non-profits in local government.

You are going to immerse yourself in the world of transportation and learn everything you can about the BRT to create a report that may actually be used to improve Detroit’s transportation system. You have been provided with an opportunity to do meaningful work. Take advantage of this opportunity. Learn as much as you can. Ask questions. Have a positive attitude. Inevitably, this project will be a challenge—before this internship, you had absolutely no idea of the issues surrounding Detroit’s transportation. However, in the span of three days, you’ve already read reports about BRT around the world. Continue to be motivated and inspired and you will succeed.

As far as your contributions to the organization goes, give it your best. Like you previously mentioned, you walked on to the project not being familiar with Detroit’s transportation issues. Recognize this, and continue to learn as much as you possibly can. Embrace your passion to see positive change in Detroit and apply it every day. By doing this, you will be satisfied with your work.

Your current perception of Detroit is generally positive. You see Detroit as an opportunity for investment, growth and opportunity. As a millennial, it is your responsibility to remain involved in the city and to help culminate a culture of community. Promote Detroit. Live Detroit.

Best,

Julia

1 thought on “A letter to myself: Dear Julia”

1. Julia, I think that your attitude here is great! This is an opportunity to get a little taste of what it’s like to be a Detroit resident, and I am really looking forward to it as well.
    Your work on the transportation system reminds me of your internship in Germany; not your area of expertise, but something you can learn to do. I wish you luck on your project this summer and hope you can become an asset to the Suburbs Alliance!

-Chris