Week Three: Eat, Sleep, Breathe FoodLab Detroit – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Three: Eat, Sleep, Breathe FoodLab Detroit

It’s ONLY been three weeks? That can’t be right… can it? It seems as if I have been at FoodLab for longer than three weeks. I still cannot comprehend HOW in the world everyone at FoodLab can function at such a high speed. I constantly applaud them for their efforts and the passion they have for food entrepreneurship and the community. I am always finding myself in complete awe when my superiors’ gears are still oiled… but mine turn to rust. It is clear that the betterment of the community and food entrepreneurs is their number one goal. From attending countless meetings, I can see the thankfulness from FoodLab members and community members. I often find myself with a toothy smile from seeing all of the positivity from the community. Hearing phrases like, “Thank you. I am where I am because of you” or “You’re amazing, thank you!” happen frequently. 

It’s just amazing how much dedication FoodLab has for community-based organizations that will actually promote the well-being of the community. They believe that if a business is dedicated to its environment, then it will bring profits to the neighborhood. 

Image 

This little bundle of joy is given to every new employee at the Green Garage. The Green Garage is the building where FoodLab Detroit’s headquarters resides. This homemade gift was given to Gina and I last week. Inside were delicious homemade cookies along with the official “Welcome to the Green Garage” note. The simplicity of this gift and the love that held it together was what touched my heart. Even when I look at this picture today, I find myself smiling a little brighter and louder. 

If you can’t tell already, I’m in love with my placement and the environment I’m working in. #FoodLabHOLLA 

1 thought on “Week Three: Eat, Sleep, Breathe FoodLab Detroit”

1. Your placement sounds so wonderful! I really resonate with the awe that you have towards how passionate everyone is at your community based organization! Everyone at my placement seems to always be so committed and energized!