Week Three – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Three

My third week as an intern at Friends of Parkside is almost over, and I’ve made several observations about the organization. One of the most interesting things I’ve observed is the personality of each employee and how they interact within the office. For example, I have come to expect certain behaviors from each person, and this has made it easier for me to navigate through certain situations that arise in the office.

Today was Friends of Parkside’s biweekly food distribution. My duty was to work the front desk. I mostly answered calls from people who wanted to know why they had gotten a call from FOP in the first place! After the food distribution was over, Lauren and I continued our participation in the Earn a Bike program that FOP started for kids in the community. I must say that the program has become probably my favorite thing about work! I really enjoy getting out from behind a desk and spending time with the kids, even though they can get pretty rowdy! I cannot wait until my bike is finished! Lauren and I plan to ride our new bikes downtown once they are completed. 🙂 

ImageA picture of me and some of the kids working on our bikes. 

2 thoughts on “Week Three”

1. Cool, I’m so glad you got the chance to get out from behind the desk and actually try something new and more hands-on, its fun to change the days up every once in a while! I’m so jealous that you get to interact with kids during your fellowship this summer, it’s an awesome opportunity to feel closer to the actual community. I hope the summer just gets better for you from here on out!! 🙂

2. Being able to observe and interact with a range of personalities is a quintessential component of working with people. It’s great that you are aware of this and that it helps you deal with different situations. What works for some doesn’t work for others. Earn a Bike sounds really exciting! Enjoy it and the biking!