Much Overdue – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Much Overdue

In an earlier post I promised some pictures, so here’s a few from some adventures and good times. Realizing that we’re already 6 weeks in and more than half done with this program, I’m feeling a bit sad already. But I need to keep telling myself that instead of worrying about it ending I just need to focus on how to make the next few weeks as great or even better than the last 6. Get work done and keep seeking interesting adventures with all the beautiful souls around you!!

After 18 years of looking long and hard for my doppelganger, I finally found her. (Granted this lady is from 1200 AD egypt), The best part about this picture? I sent it to my mom and she asked me when my brother was painted in Detroit. My brother looks nothing like this painting. Yeah, I’m still confused too.
Sometimes we get lazy after work and don’t warm up the beans. So here’s little Ryan eating cold green beans out of a can he just opened. He seemed to enjoy it?
So I’m fasting this month but I decided to give Ryan company when he really wanted to get pizza at this Italian joint his grandparents recommended next to our office. So here I am not eating all day and there’s Ryan enjoying his pizza sitting across from me. I hope you enjoyed that Ryan.
Everybody likes to try on my glasses. Not everyone looks as cute as little Chris in them, though.

Ecoworks has this great program where they go to houses being demolished and renovated and ‘reclaim’ the old wood and recycle it to make awesome furniture. Here’s a coaster I found at their office. I was tempted to take one but I didn’t see any other one’s so I refrained. Some of their awesome work can also be see at Great Lakes Coffee Roasting Company and SocraTea.
We went to go see the USA vs. Germany game at Campus Martius. Here is Julia and Ellen (our supervisor) eating sliders from the food truck. Yet again, I’m fasting.
When Carmen and I went to go visit the Sterling Heights city hall we came across a little historical house that was preserved as a museum. To our surprise, it was unlocked! So we cautiously walked in and saw all this sweet antique furniture and a bunch of old pictures. Here’s a pic of darling Carmen sitting at a child’s desk with a quill in hand ready to get some work done. The desk was really small.
More pictures at the historical house museum, here is Carmen in front of some ancient pictures of Sterling Heights back in the day!

We went out to support lovely Meredith as she presented at a Detroit Soup crowdfunding event to raise money for her rooftop garden project at the Neighborhood Services Organization. And she won! Hard work pays off 🙂
A bunch of us plus some other Physics bros of the sixth floor playing late night card games in the lounge.

3 thoughts on “Much Overdue”

1. Thanks for sharing your awesome pictures! I’m going to look more into the Reclaim Detroit project that EcoWorks is running. I would love some of those coasters!

2. Your photographs paired with your precious captions provide a perfect glimpse into your Detroit experience. Keep up the amazing work, Noor. 🙂

P.S. I purposely tried to get as many p’s into that first sentence as possible.