Food Academy Fun! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Food Academy Fun!

With my time at the Food Academy, I have been very lucky to be able to go to the location where they hold their summer program and working with both the students. In the summer program, the students are split into two tracks, an entrepreneurial track and a chef track. I work with one group on Monday’s and the other group on Thursday’s so I get to see what is going on in both areas of the program. This has been the most exciting and fun part of staying here for me.

For one, I have learned a lot about the students. I am used to working with elementary school students in schools, but I have not really had the chance to work with high school students. They’re obviously much more independent and focused which makes a huge difference in how I work with them in a classroom type setting. It feels like it wasn’t that long ago that I was worrying about the same things they were, like finding a summer job, applying for college, trying to buy a car, blah blah all that high school stuff. But I find it very ambitious of them to be in the summer program, because when I was in high school I either did nothing all summer or worked at Kroger, which sucked, but also wasn’t a 10-3 day 5 days a week. And they’re actually doing math and cooking, which take a lot of focus. Most of them have to take the bus too, which is a huge hassle a lot of the time in the summer.

I have honestly been learning a lot about both business and cooking, not just from what we have been doing in the summer program but also by being in the Green Garage and collaborating with entrepreneurs and independent business people. I am kind of sad that this is going to be over soon, I feel like I’m still just getting started. At least I have had this opportunity so far, and I can still finish out the summer program with DFA since I live close by.

For now, enjoy these pictures of our lovely students making yummy foods 🙂  

DFA1

We sell Mitten Bites, popcorn, and granola at Eastern Market on Tuesdays, Lafayette Greens Market (downtown) on Thursdays, and Northwest Farmers Market (Grandmont Rosedale area) on Thursdays. CHECK US OUT

4-DSCN2708

2-DSCN2705

DFA2

Chefs making enchiladas… I didn’t get to try them because I had to go back to the office and I am still pretty sad about it. 

DFA3

My group, the Pop It! Popcorn team in the background making spicy popcorn and the Ola Granola team in the foreground, making granola. 

1-DSCN2699

Sup taco squad?

3-DSCN2706

Cute Packaging!

2 thoughts on “Food Academy Fun!”

1. Wow your work sounds so valuable and really fun too! I would’ve loved to learn some cooking skills when I was in highschool. I think I’ve seen your organizations stuff at eastern market… next time I’ll have to buy some since I know I’ll be supporting a cool institution

2. It’s really great that your placement lets you go out to see what their programs are all about and how they’re creating experiences and opportunities for the students! It’s also really cool that you get to be a part of making that happen.

P.S. Those pictures are making me hungry! 🙂