Week Eight: Reflecting Back – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Eight: Reflecting Back

During the short 8-weeks I have been at FoodLab, I have learned quite a lot. My experience here has been nothing short of positive. It did not matter where I went or who I met, I was always welcomed with open arms and a genuine smile to match. The culture of FoodLab is just that – welcoming. It does not matter who the person is or the business; they are always encouraged to attend FoodLab events to learn more about the organization and what they can gain if they became a member.

When synthesizing Food for Thought notes, I noticed a few ongoing themes: the community, the triple-bottom-line, and networking. Even though most of the businesses are small, they do not steer away from the community. I have personally seen members assist other members with their business. Whether that was through publicizing their business, helping them through the licensing process, or making referrals to improve networking. The sense of community amongst the Labbers is strong and prevalent. Along with having a strong community, members religiously follow the triple-bottom-line. They want to be kind to the Earth and adopt practices that will help reduce waste and increase awareness – whether that is through investing in Earth-friendly packaging, installing a recycling / compost bin at their site, or buying locally – the Labbers are taking small, but sound steps to improve the environment we live in.

Actually, let me take that back. FoodLab and its members are not a community – they are a family. They are a family who look out for one another; a family who has strong bonds to keep each other going; a strong bond that pushes each other during times of difficulty; a family that is warm and kindhearted; a family that is always there whenever someone needs advice or words of encouragement; and lastly, a family that feeds one another. I mean it’s really hard to find people who are willing to nourish each other regularly and look out for one another. FoodLab and Labbers does this effortlessly. It has become an unconscious duty for everyone. I am completely awestruck whenever I see this happen before my very eyes.

When I mentioned that I was welcomed in with open arms – I was not kidding. It felt like I was at home from day 1. The amount of love that has been showered upon me has no bounds. Despite trying to grow as a business and a non-profit, both entities continuously come together to create home for many people. I have gained so much knowledge about food entrepreneurship and the licensing process that I know I will not be in the dark if I ever wanted to establish something for myself. Additionally, I have been able to introduce FoodLab to many people including my former high school Spanish teacher. FoodLab and will forever have a special place in my heart for years to come and I only hope that I can come back in the future!

With much love,

Purabi