1-To Self.. – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

1-To Self..

Kristen,

This week has been a great week at your placement: Metro Matters! I’d say you couldn’t have asked for a better place to do research. Your co-workers have made your first week a blast, and very easy to get adjusted to. Your first day began with an office tour, retrieving parking passes, and having lunch paid for, which was so delicious, you went back the next day =)!. You should go to the grocery store soon, instead of buying lunch everyday!

You have really enjoyed starting your research so far, the project was even modified to better suit your career interests in architecture and urban planning. Being able to research design and policies concerning bus stops in Metro Detroit, is a really great opportunity for you. You even got to go back to Ann Arbor yesterday to start documenting transit design. Make sure your work is done well, so that it can be added to your portfolio soon. Your manager was extremely pleased with the work you had completed thus far, so keep up the good work. Remember to do your best everyday, you never know what kind of opportunities could branch off of this experience. Be outgoing, and always stay engaged in the tasks at hand.

After working all weekend, you finally met all of your roommates on Monday, and stayed on campus starting Tuesday. Everyone is very nice so far, and easy to get along with. You’re looking forward to getting to know everyone more! Being from Detroit, you expected there not to be many new things to try out, but you were pleasantly surprised. You’ve eaten at a few new places around campus that you have really enjoyed. You are really excited to try the thai food across the street =). Today we stopped to get gas, after the gas light was on. You should try to prioritize those types of tasks, so you don’t worry your passengers. Also, I hope you get to the grocery store this week, and also move the rest of your clothes to your apartment.

I look forward to seeing your progress,

~KRIS

2 thoughts on “1-To Self..”

1. I am with you one the packing a lunch. It does begin to add up very quickly. I do think it is important to go out and explore what a different area of Detroit has to offer even though you may have lived here or still do because the city is very large and has a lot to offer. It sounds like you’re ready for work and fun.

2. Hey Kristen! Congrats on all of the great work that you have done at your site so far! It sounds like you have a wonderful placement that really fits your interests and areas of study. It is especially exciting that you will be able to use what you are doing in a portfolio.
    I would absolutely love to try that Thai place across the street with you sometime this week!