Week 1: Letter to self – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 1: Letter to self

Starting off my time in Detroit, I really wasn’t sure what to expect. This is my first real nine to five job, and the experience so far has been interesting to say the least. At Ecoworks, we are currently trying to compile an excel sheet of all the municipal buildings in Dearborn and their energy usage. This will ultimately be very useful in initiating energy reduction and efficiency measures which is very exciting, but the data gathering itself is currently a very menial task. I am really hoping that in the weeks to come I can finish this task and then use it at a resource to start working on action plans to make Dearborn a more energy efficient and green city.

Aside from the internship itself, it has been interesting to begin becoming familiar with the city of Detroit. Growing up in Ann Arbor and only coming to Detroit for the spare Tiger’s game, I wasn’t sure what to expect. This week, with some other DCBRP-ers, I walked to the riverfront and back. That was a really cool way to explore more of Midtown and see Downtown for the first time! I got to see some quintessential Detroit landmarks and it made me more excited to see what else the city has to explore. Here are some highlights:

photo (49)

photo (48)

photo (47)