Week OCHO (cinco) – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week OCHO (cinco)

The Tuesday meetings were strange. It was interesting to see a lot of our placements given the opportunity to teach us about what they do. It was also interesting to see how many other placements were made out to be villains. It was almost like some of the Tuesday meetings would pit different people in DCBRP against each other. In fact I kind of had a mental poll, that would change every Tuesday, of who worked at the most “evil” placement. But I also feel like all of the arguments we were presented are on the same side. I would love to see Detroit Future City and the Mayor’s office respond to the, honestly pretty riot provoking worthy, comments made by the organizations who spoke to us every Tuesday

I feel like I learned a lot. And while I agreed with pretty much everything that was said at our Tuesday meetings, I can’t in good conscience just believe it all in blind faith.

Of course I could research these topics on my own, but we all know I’m not going to do that.

So what would be the next logical step for DCBRP? To invite all of the “oppressors” and “gentrifies” an opportunity to defend themselves. Otherwise I am only seeing one side of the argument, which completely invalidates my new found beliefs of what is going on in Detroit.

I really don’t know what I’m getting at right now, I just feel like I don’t know what the “other half” thinks about whats going on in Detroit right now. If our Tuesday seminars were a research paper in my English 125 class last year they would of gotten a solid C+ for forgetting to present the oppositions argument and then dismantle it piece by piece. Instead Tuesday seminars just beat the same idea over the head again and again. That the people trying to develop Detroit are bad. And honestly from what I have seen this seems to be the case.

1 thought on “Week OCHO (cinco)”

1. I hope you’ll be able to attend the event we’re having at Detroit Future City next week so you can see their view on what’s going on in the city. It’s unfortunate they weren’t able to come on Tuesday, but hopefully this event can make up for it.