Yoooo Sam,

I’m currently sitting on the floor of a room that is not my own (classic) after my third almost full day of work! Everything has been so great so far and I’m super excited for the rest of this summer in a way that is kinda difficult to put into words. I’ve never lived outside of Ann Arbor before (because I’m the worst) so I was mildly nervous about moving to a new city, but so far I have absolutely no complaints! I’m going to literally break things into categories to talk about because I’m having trouble organizing all my thoughts:

Work:

DHDC is GREAT! Every single person who works there has such an interesting story to tell, and we’re going to be working with education advocacy all summer which is dope because that’s possibly what I’m going to be doing for the rest of my life. They also fed me some dank guacamole and jello stuff (which I don’t know the name of and was too embarrassed to ask but it was good). I’m very excited to be there and to be going to schools and to be learning a lot of Spanish very quickly.

Dorms/People/Wayne State:

Our cohort is also dope and (hopefully) I’m making a lot of cool friends. I love the way the dorms are set up and I love attempting to feed myself. The wifi is pretty spotty but other than that I’m very happy and I already sort of feel like I’ve lived here for months. Here is a fun picture of some of us being fun in an elevator:

13319780_962549280531026_220600417687619555_n

Detroit in general:

In turns out I actually do remember how to ride a bike, which has been really great to help explore Detroit! So far I’ve been swimming at Belle Isle, stopped by Eastern Market, also stopped by the Corktown Farmer’s Market, ate at Nuestra Familia which is just the best place ever, and biked in Slow Roll! There’s so many cool things I want to do here and it’s gonna be lit.

4 thoughts on “Week 1”

1. michaelpeterson19

WOW! Sounds like you had a great week! I feel like we can be really good friends! I cannot wait to spend the summer with you and everyone else!