Week One (Letter to myself) – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week One (Letter to myself)

Dear Candice,

You never fail to amaze me! Every year you grow into a more beautiful and intelligent young woman. I should tell you that I have no doubt that being a part of the Detroit Community Based Research Program will help you grow as a person. Your first week in the program proved to be a little different than you originally pictured when you were in Ann Arbor first applying for DCBRP. Although your first week was different than you originally imaged this does not mean it was bad, in fact, it was full of experiences that I believe helped you grow as a person. I also want to congratulate you on improving your multitasking skills. I have to tell you, two years ago, as a freshman multitasking was not one of your best skills.

However, your first week was full of multitasking. This involved sending emails to several people, reviewing past vendors,  seeing what tasks previous coordinators did for the health fair, understanding your director’s vision, and learning how to solicit money from large companies. Even among all of this you kept up with the given tasks. Outside of work, you have not done much exploring. I really hope you take the time to venture out of your comfort zone and see Detroit from a different perspective.

I also want you to continue to build your networking skills. Remember networking with people allows you to understand different perspectives and yield a better understanding of people from different backgrounds. Also remember not to lose sight of why you wanted to come to the Friends of Parkside location. Planning the health fair will help you build endurance for the future events that you one day hope to plan with your own organization. If you ever become overwhelmed take a deep breath and reflect upon your motives and what you hope to learn. YOU ARE MORE THAN ONE EXPERIENCE OR MOMENT IN TIME.

Finally, I hope future you has mastered the art of “exercising” and healthy eating. We have way too many journeys to go on for you to be unhealthy. Take the time to think about what you are eating and explore new fruits and vegetables. Future Candice, it has been a long journey getting to where you are and I truly hope you continue to take the time out to get to know yourself. Talk to you soon.

Love,

Candice

P.S. I hope the health fair went great!

1 thought on “Week One (Letter to myself)”

1. Candice,
    Although we only said a few words to each other these past couple of days, you seem like a sweet and hard working individual. After, moving in Saturday afternoon, I couldn’t help but to notice you working at your desk, which inspired me to step up my game and work even harder this summer. I also really like how you made me feel welcomed, by stopping by my door to let me know that I can come to you if I need help with anything. This is a great way to network. Thank you!