Developing for Someone Else – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Developing for Someone Else

http://www.bls.gov/regions/midwest/news-release/areaemployment_detroit.htm

The article I chose to write is about job growth and development in the Detroit.  Since I am a economics major, this is the type of statistical analysis that really interest me.  This article was published by the Bureau of Labor and Statistics and is about where the Job growth is in the city. Since I am working in workforce development this summer, this article has a practical application to the work I am actually doing.  

Many of the students in my workforce development class speak frequently about the lack of job development within the city and its surrounding suburbs. After hearing so many people talk about the lack of jobs I decided that I would actually look up job growth statistics for the city. I know from just being in the city there has been a lot of development in finance and managerial positions  but a lot of the people I work with do not have the qualifications for these types of  jobs.  I was interested to see if the development going on in Detroit was helpful to the actual residents. Once I looked up this article from the Bureau of Labor and statistics it was kind of plain to see that there is no clear and easy answer and that  there is a mixed bag of job development. There has been growth in the manufacturing sector, which many of the participants in the class are  qualified for, but there is larger growth other Super sectors.

What was also interesting to me was that Detroit job development  numbers are either on par or exceeding the national growth rate of jobs however many of these jobs are not for Detroit residents. I think it is very sad that in a city that is experiencing so much growth and so much development that residents who live in the city must travel outside the city for work they are qualified for. Development should be for residents and residents should have a place in the development. The government should offer services that train and help people obtain jobs that the city is bringing in from all over the world instead of using residents tax dollars to develop their neighborhoods for somebody else