Why I’m confused about Detroit – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Why I’m confused about Detroit

This article presents the fact that many neighborhoods in Detroit have not experienced or even had the opportunity to partake in the recent development in many other neighborhoods, like Downtown, Midtown, and Corktown.

http://michiganradio.org/post/detroit-neighborhoods-not-part-citys-resurgence#stream/0

One of the most prominent topics of conversation in the city right now is that of gentrification. What development is “good” and how can we ensure that the development and new energy extends beyond just Midtown, Corktown, and Downtown. While I believe sensible discussions are extremely beneficial and necessary to understand all sides of the argument, they often spiral out of control and people get too upset to even talk about the issue. Luckily, our cohort, and many others that I have discussed the issue with, are not like this. The only downside to this, is that I have no idea how I truly feel about the situation.

Growing up in the city was often very frustrating as many will probably tell you. Many basic services (grocery stores, coffee shops, movie theaters, clothing stores, etc.) For that reason, when things started coming back to Corktown, where I’m from, I got excited. However, obviously one resident’s excitement does not reflect the broader picture of the city. Much of the city is still in the same state of uncertainty as it has been for years.
With all that in mind, I am uncertain about what the best strategy, if there exists one, to assure that services, jobs, and prosperity reach more parts of the city. I am not saying that I do not want that, nor am I saying that I think it is not possible. However, I do question which sector is able to accomplish that. While the non-profit sector does seem to be more inclined to care for the community, to me it is unclear how effective they can be. Can prosperity come without outside investment and development which in itself brings gentrification? At the same time, can businesses employ practices that are more conscious of existing communities and utilizes more residents? Or are businesses inherently the ones who always forget about communities and care more about their companies?
What I do know, is that this conversation is dynamic. It is always changing and I’m constantly learning new things and hearing fresh perspectives from people, especially people in this program. I’m happy that the dialogue continues.