GMOs Pick Up a HUGE W! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

GMOs Pick Up a HUGE W!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/06/29/more-than-100-nobel-laureates-take-on-greenpeace-over-gmo-stance/

A couple weeks ago I was ranting to Sam and Will about how GMOs are amazing and have already done so much good for the world yet there was far from a consensus on their viability and that many still resorted to scare tactics to make people avoid eating them. Admittedly I’d never really done anything to support the GMO cause except put my two cents in whenever the subject came up because I thought it was just one of those things that everyone who knows what they’re talking about thinks the current status quo is stupid yet for some reason nothing happens to change it (think gun control or the US involvement in literally anywhere.) However, that all changed yesterday. Over 100 nobel laureates signed a letter dragging Greanpeace about their archaic views on GMOs and telling them to wake up and smell the roses. The letter explained that GMOs open up the possibility of severely limiting or even eliminating the vitamin A deficiency that UNICEF estimates kills between 1 and 2 million people annually. They also mentioned the fact that GMOs have never been shown to be more dangerous than regular crops (I think they also said that the world is round and that gravity is what keeps us from floating away but we already knew that.) The only argument that is still made against GMOs is that it’s unnatural, which to me has always been the clearest indication that you’re clutching at straws.

GMOs have had and will continue to have on food security both domestically and abroad. We are on the verge of another green revolution and fighting it will only cause us to delay saving millions, potentially billions of lives. The impact this can have on Detroit is pretty significant. When you genetically modify foods you can make them less susceptible to pests, able to grow in harsher conditions, and able to last longer. It’s no secret that it’s often a struggle to get fresh produce for people in cities, including Detroit. Expanding the use of GMOs can allow people to grow food in more areas, will decrease the price of produce for everyone. I know this is just an open letter but I’m excited because it unofficially signals the beginning of the end of anti-GMO rhetoric.