Great Expectations – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Great Expectations

Its the middle of summer already! And I feel like the program just started. I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised at my tolerance to a 9-5 job. I’ve never spent a summer doing this type of work (sitting down at a desk and cranking out task after task!). But I haven’t found myself overly distracted at work, and I think that is a testament to my interest in my work. I really haven’t contributed many “finished products” yet to EcoWorks, but I’m getting there and I can feel it. So, with that, I’d like to set some goals for the rest of the summer.

• Now that I’m more comfortable, I’d like to communicate more with other departments and help them out with tasks (such as a Water Residential Assistance Program visit)
  • Create a multimedia project that reflects the feelings of community members about one of my projects
  • Work with other members of the staff to make my report as professional as it can be
  • Make sure I have the end in sight, so I don’t run out of time to do things
  • Think on both “micro” and “macro” levels. It’s easy to get bogged down on a very specific aspect on a very specific project and forget about the bigger picture and the context that the project is in. Living in Detroit and talking about social issues helps me zoom out from time to time.
  • Try new things, go to different places, and take more pictures!

1 thought on “Great Expectations”