Reflections – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Reflections

I think the largest part of seminars and group meetings that I have noticed is entering communities. In working with communities, discovering the most conscious way to enter and assist a community. While always hard to do, it seems as though most people are extremely conscious of doing so. Whether hearing Naim talk about why “healthy” might not always be a fair standard, or Noam talking about how salads are not the perfect fix, made me realize that the top down authoritative scenario does not work and is not what people actually want.

Since I do not want to go into the non-profit world, it makes it even harder to understand these things. Can large-scale change be brought about without having some portion of top-down, large government intervention? Many would say yes, but I also am not necessarily sold on the fact that small-scale change can bring about enough changes. Truly I don’t know, but I do not better understand the need to know how to communicate effectively and understand communities and the people that reside in them.

1 thought on “Reflections”