Home Away From Home: E3 Design Lab – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Home Away From Home: E3 Design Lab

I was placed at the E3 Talent Design Lab. My supervisor’s name is Jillian, and she’s managed to make E3 feel like a space where my ideas are heard and respected.

E3 works to train early childhood educators. My supervisor and her coworkers are some of the top individuals in the field of early childhood education in the city of Detroit. Their mission is to provide educators with the resources to provide for children. In line with this project, Jean and I are currently spearheading a program called Art for Learning’s Sake. A4S is centered around providing educators with a toolkit to give young children meaningful and educational art experiences. We focus on all mediums of art, like drama, painting, drawing, clay work, sensory work, food, and music.

My first week in Detroit has been even better than I could have hoped for. Even though I was surrounded by such amazing and friendly people, I felt like I was alone. Even though making new friends was amazing, I felt like there was no one who felt like home. I was lonely because everything and everyone was so new, that no one felt like home. By this second week, things have definitely changed. Even though I want to see my friends from, it’s not missing them anymore. Now, I just want to see them to hang out.

In two weeks, the people at DCBRP have started to feel like home. I’ve made friends with people who at first intimidated me. We’ve swapped food, and recipes, and stories, and memories, and now, we’re making stories and memories together.

Ayat

1 thought on “Home Away From Home: E3 Design Lab”

1. Ayat,

I’m so glad you’ve found a job that means so much to you and where you can contribute your own ideas, and its’ so cool that you and Jean get to spearhead this project. I am even more glad that we have made Detroit and DCBRP feel like home for you! I love hanging out with you and I hope we get to make lots more of amazing memories this summer.