Time to Recollect – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Time to Recollect

I knew I have been anticipating this prompt for a while, yet now when I come to it I’m still unsure as to write without it being a huge thought-dump, but I suppose that’s okay to post too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For starters I’ve been have been out of work for this week for the holiday.  I have spent my time mainly with my mom and other family members for the weekend.  I have also spent my time looking over any additional work I must do before I return, and it’s a bit overwhelming, as my supervisor not only gave me multiple additional tasks to complete, but she will also be out of town the week I return.  In exchange for the larger amount of work, the independence and flexible amount of time is helpful, and it gives me additional time to clear my head.

Additional thoughts include my birthday being literally tomorrow as I write this.  19 years old seems to be kind of anti-climactic, don’t you think? Compared to 16, 18, or 21, it’s kind of just any other birthday, and because of this I struggle with trying to make sure it’s not like any other day.  It’s a weird expectation with birthdays to make the day more extravagant or special with parties or outings, but it gets a bit more difficult as you get older, because the things that made you excited as a kid like pinatas or trips to Chuck E Cheeses don’t excite you now as much as they did when you were 7.  So I’ve been wondering for the past few weeks what should I do, but then I remember that simple things with family and friends can suffice, as well as ground yourself as well.