New Found Love for Spanish: Week 6 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

New Found Love for Spanish: Week 6

I am really grateful for this opportunity to work with nonprofits. As my internship is coming to an end, I am so grateful to have had this experience. I wish that I would have known more about the surrounding culture than I do now. I work in a highly Hispanic area and I took Spanish throughout my years in school, but I was not consistent with it. When I came on the first day of work finding out I would be working with Spanish speakers I was excited but I also had a disappointment with myself, because I have not been studying Spanish like I should. I don’t want to lose the language but when it’s not necessary it can be buried under a lot of work. I wish I kept up with the language like I should. However this internship has inspired me to get back to speaking in,listening to, and writing in Spanish. I am excited with this journey I am about to continue. My organization actually had sessions where native Spanish speakers and English speakers could come together and practice the language they were studying to become better and more confident when speaking. I definitely want to become more confident and speaking and the session that I went to really helped me out because it was a judgement free zone. I have learned so much from this internship that I will forever remember. I am glad to report that I will start studying spanish more often to eventually met my goal of becoming fluent.