The Answered Letter – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

The Answered Letter

Looking back on my first blog post where I wrote a letter to myself and everything that I hoped to accomplish and learn through this program, I surprisingly did. This Detroit Community Based Research Program did allow me to gain experience in solving public health issues and to guide me in choosing a career. Though I still do not know exactly what I want my career to be I do have a better idea after working in Osborn. This program did open my mind to problems in the community that I was unfamiliar with and I  gained a new love for Detroit! I was born and raised in Detroit but I still had a lot to learn and continue to have a lot to learn. I explored midtown and all parts of Detroit and it helped me to gain a better understanding of its history and current situation. I gained lifelong friends, nonprofit work experience, public health research, and a new and enlightened perspective of Detroit. I had an amazing summer while also giving back to the community of Detroit.

Working with the Osborn neighborhood alliance, all of my goals came true. I got involved with the residents of the community and received a better understanding  of  what they needed and wanted and what was best for their community. I also used my researching skills that I gained from UROP to learn more about feeder patterns and public health problems  and I discovered what I could do to solve them.

My perspective of Detroit is relatively the same because I still believe that Detroit is a city with so much potential and I love the progress that I see though I acknowledge that more progress needs to be made in more important areas like education, housing, and crime prevention rather than just the downtown area for tourists. But now I know how vital it is for the progression of  the area of education and housing! I look back at my first blog and I have come a long way and I truly feel like I have reached all of my goals for the program!

2 thoughts on “The Answered Letter”

1. Elsa Mae Borrello

So glad you had such a great experience! I know my knowledge and perception of Detroit has changed quite a bit since I’m not from the city, so it’s interesting to read your thoughts as someone who grew up here. Osborn seems like a great placement. I’m sure no matter what you end up doing you’ll be helping others and doing your best!

2. We had some amazing experiences together within ONA and Osborn. So happy you were my cohort/coworker!

Hugs