Joy’s Detroit Life: Chapter 1 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Joy’s Detroit Life: Chapter 1

Dear Joy,

Hey girl — you got this. So what do you expect from this program? Well right now you expect to create a guide for Brilliant Detroit regarding expansion practices, which will be used and revised long after you’re gone. Having talked with former DCBRP interns, I’m sure you’ll feel rewarded about the work that you produced, the relationships that you built, and the connection that you will feel to your former non-profit in the future. Additionally, you expect to learn more about Detroit and explore. You’re not from Detroit and so many of your friends are and you’re curious about the city; now you’re here, so please don’t embarrass me and waste this opportunity. If you don’t eat Bucharest Grill by August 3, you have not completed the mission you set in May.

But more seriously, Detroit is such an amazing city and from your perception thus far there is so much culture to explore, and knowledge to gain. Detroit seems like a whole new culture and from past experiences with others has been illustrated as a far away place; but it is about 45 minutes away from Ann Arbor. I know you feel frustrated by the illusory vast distance between Detroit and AA and are excited on engaging with the city but also lost on how to do so. Exploring a new place can be intimidating without support and luckily, there are other people in the program who also feel the same way. Furthermore, you’re in a program, with a purpose to help us get acclimated to the city so again, take advantage of this opportunity that you’ve been granted.

What you intend to bring to this program, your placement, and other DCBRP folks is ambition, mildly radical thinking, an urge to explore, happiness, laughter, goofiness, and transparency regarding your fears. It’s been a while since you’ve had to go to a new place, meet new people, and experience general uncertainty. And that is okay, it is normal to feel nerves but please push yourself to be outside of your comfort zone — as you’ve learned in the past that is where most growth in people’s lives so embrace this learning edge! I’m excited to see where you’ll be at the end of this program — hopefully enlightened, fired up to tear down systems of oppression, and generally more knowledgeable about Detroit. You got this boo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDZJPJV__bQ

4 thoughts on “Joy’s Detroit Life: Chapter 1”

1. Hey Joy! “You got this boo.”
    It was inspiring and encouraging to read about your feelings about this new experience and your hopes for it. Especially when reading what you intend to bring to this program, which is you unashamed. Good luck with your nonprofit and your goal to eat at Bucharest Grill! Can’t wait to get to know you.

2. Destini Shardina Smith

Hi Joy! I love the energy that you bring to this program. Your desire to explore the city and learn more is much like mine, I hope that we can link up to see what the city has to offer. I hope that you achieve everything and more that you set out to do when coming here!

3. Doneen Hope Hesse

Heyoo Joy,

I love the positivity and the work ethic in your attitude. You mention in one sentence the challenges of exploring a new city, and in the next exactly how you plan on addressing those issues. You know the work you put in is directly linked to what you get out of this program, and I know that confidence is going to make the impact you have at your placement something special.

Your commitment to transparency and eating at Bucharest Grill are also respectable goals, and I hope they both end up going your way.

Stay sweet,
    Nina

4. Hi, Joy!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This blog entry was so relatable for me because I’ve been struggling with how to learn as much as I can about and from Detroit while I’m here. I’m excited that you and others in the program are anxious to learn, too! I’m also excited to get to know you better and learn from you. Good luck with your placement, and thank you for your thoughts in this post.

-Chloe