Full Schedule | #3 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Full Schedule | #3

Its week 3 and there always seems to be something going on in Chandler Park. I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to sit in on 3 different meetings that pertain to different aspects of the Conservancy. I’ve noticed that in 2 of the 3 meeting, members of the community/neighborhood have been present and their input is highly regarded. That alone has made me excited because it shows that this organization really cares about the community it was created to serve. I’m beginning to understand that the plans the Conservancy has for the actual park is more than just revitalization, but sustainability too. Rain gardens and bioswells are being built and they are partnering with the local community college to create courses to maintain them. I think that is an excellent thing to do because it allows more opportunities for community involvement. I believe Detroit should take on this model too. I feel as though the residents of Detroit aren’t always considered or given the chance to give this take on what should be done to sustain improvements made to the city. Hopefully, that changes in the future.

(In honor of Juneteenth) Song of the week: VRY BLK by Jamila Woods ft. Noname