I Led a Protest! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

I Led a Protest!

This week, I helped to organize and promote a silent protest campaign in Southwest Detroit to get the speed limit lowered for residents’ safety.

A portion of Fort Street has a speed limit of 45 mph, which is the highest speed limit along this street that runs from Downtown Detroit to Lincoln Park. This is concerning because construction on I-75 has recently redirected more automobiles onto Fort Street; most people will often exceed this speed limit of 45 when driving in the area; and, due to its proximity to Kemeny Park and there being no crosswalk or traffic light for many blocks, children are forced to jaywalk on the busy road. These factors led to one 8-year old child (Brandon Starks <3) being struck and killed in a hit-and-run this April crossing from the park to get home. Clearly, something needed to change.

I was really proud to have such a focal role in the event. I created the event flyer, which was published in the newspaper the week before, and I made nearly 40 posters for residents to display, by hand. The event was covered by Fox 2 News and NBC, and there were approximately 30-40 protesters! More notably, a meeting was confirmed with an MDOT representative for the following week, and we are all hoping there is a plan of action.

I have pictures of the posters, flyer publication, and speed map, so if anyone knows how to add that here I will link it. Here is a link to an article/ video talking about the event: https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detroit-community-protests-to-lower-speed-limit-on-fort-street-where-8-year-old-boy-was-killed

1 thought on “I Led a Protest!”

1. Wow Peggy this is awesome! I’m sure it has to be satisfying to see your hard work pay off as well as interact with community members at the protest! I hope MDOT is responsive and willing to make a real change, I’m wishing you the best of luck for that meeting!