Week Seven – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Seven

One of my brief, but favorite, experiences so far has been meeting a very sweet lady from the Detroit Health Department named Mildred. We had met her at her office a few days ago to pick up copies of our health fair flyer that she so generously agree to print for us. She immediately greeted us with a hug and acted like we were old friends (even though we had only met twice). Not only did she make more than 1,000+ copies total for our health fair, but she donated a $25 gift card for the raffle drawing out of her own pocket.

After seeing a map I had created outlining how the community room would be set up for the health fair, she asked if I would be willing to stop by her office again sometime next week to show her how to make one as well, as she has an event coming up soon. I was so glad she asked because I’m very excited to sit down with her to not only return the favor, but to learn more about herself, her career, and what led her to the health department.

Every once in awhile, a person will come along who is so incredibly kind, generous, and selfless when they really don’t need to be. These kinds of people always play such a huge role in shaping my experiences and memories of a certain time or place. I feel very lucky to have crossed paths with Mildred and to have created another new, meaningful connection in Detroit!

1 thought on “Week Seven”