Joy’s Detroit Life: Chapter 7 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Joy’s Detroit Life: Chapter 7

You know what’s funny — I created the “Joy’s Detroit Life” titling to be partially ironic and partially for branding. I honestly find my titling rather cheesy, but I gotta stay #onbrand, so here we go.

A standout moment that I’ve had during my time in Detroit actually happened this past Wednesday. The Detroit Actor’s Theatre Company put on a show of In The Heights. Anyone who knows me well knows that I love music, I love dancing, I love rooting people on and being amazed by people’s vocal strength. Whether it be runs, riffs, range, sustained notes with evident breathe control, I love it all. In The Heights had all of the above, so for me it was an amazing time.

Additionally, anyone who knows me also knows that I love incorporating social justice into the arts and illustrations of reality, which In the Heights also does successfully. In The Heights spoke to some themes of gentrification like folks being pushed out of the area, with lyrics like “Two months ago somebody bought Ortega’s, our neighbors started packin’ up and pickin’ up, and ever since the rents went up, it’s gotten mad expensive.” Character Nina speaks to the pressures of being the one to make it out and the pressure it elicits from her community, her father striving to achieve the American Dream, even though it has proven time and time again, it is only available for certain people. It spoke to the pride that people have about their culture, where they are from, and the people that surround them. As a first-generation Ghanaian-American person, there was a lot that I could resonate with regarding hopes, dreams and fears about not only surviving but thriving in America to make others proud and ensure that my family leaving everything that they knew was worth it.

I highly suggest going to see the show, it’ll be showing tonight.

2 thoughts on “Joy’s Detroit Life: Chapter 7”

1. Hi Joy,
    I like your titles. I thought it was clever branding. I like your post and hearing about your experience with the theatre. I think what resonated with me most is the american dream only being available for certain people. In one of my sociology classes we talked about the myth of the american dream and how generally whatever class you’re born into is the class you’ll end up in. With the rich staying rich and the poor staying poor and how the “dream” keeps this going in many ways. One example is how lower socioeconomic people won’t want to tax the rich more because they don’t want to have to pay the tax if they get rich too. This creates problems with the society balancing itself or challenging the rich poor gap.

I didn’t know you were a first generation Ghanaian-American person. I’m very glad you’re here!

Best,
    Kyle

2. Joy, I also think your titles are clever branding. lol And you’re right you may hate it at this point, but you’re committed lol.
    I had no idea what In the Heights was about but now that I have read your post, I may have to go see it. Thanks for the recommendation!