Week 7: The Radical Political Headquarters I Mistook for a Record Shop – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 7: The Radical Political Headquarters I Mistook for a Record Shop

I drove past it my first day and crinkled my nose, fresh off How to Kill a City. A record shop capitalizing on grunginess? Shameful. The front has lined-up vintage-looking posters for movements from around the world and locally (I finally noticed the U-M LEO one), and the neon sign reads, “NO MORE WAR.” I thought these were all stylistic choices! How many times does Pride and Prejudice have to prove its point?!

Last week I was invited last-minute to a work event at Techtown. I dragged Joy for free dinner, at least, and we walked past the front. As we passed, someone went in, which we both noted because it looked dark and closed. After the event, which was for NEIdeas finalists (small business owners competing for grants, if it interests anybody), we headed back and Joy suggested we see if “that place” is open. We tried the handle; yes it was.

We walked into a room that didn’t answer any questions, still. There were posters strewn around and protest signs on wooden sticks. There were newspapers from around the world, I think, on shelves, and no other furniture. We heard some voices coming from the back, so we waited, chatting, stubbornly curious. After a couple minutes someone noticed our voices and was shocked that we were there, asking us how we got in. He had been supposed to lock it but oh well, welcome, would you like to join the training that’s going on right now?

We decided it seemed safe enough and followed him to a room that looks like a movie set for underground radical progressives, kind of Mr. Robot-y. We joined a small group being trained to knock on doors of homes that had just been foreclosed. They were letting people know about an application process to buy their homes back for severely reduced prices–a settlement from the city’s being sued for overtaxing people on their properties (I think I have that roughly right, please feel free to correct me). Joy and I listened to the leader describe how to be as respectful as possible in approaching these people, asking for sensitive information to help them begin the application process. It was completely fascinating. I can’t believe Joy’s and my luck.

I asked my boss the next day about the settlement and whether I could print a pile of the information sheets they shared with us to put on the front table of flyers in the center. I had noticed from the map they showed us a lot of the foreclosed homes are in Osborn. He said yes and that, in fact, ONA’s hosting a workshop about foreclosure prevention for a couple days. I can’t wait to learn more from those.

8 thoughts on “Week 7: The Radical Political Headquarters I Mistook for a Record Shop”

1. That is so cool the way you stumbled upon that meeting. You really never know what is behind closed doors. I would like to learn more about this group and their efforts.

1. 5920 Second Ave is the headquarters of Moratorium Now Coalition! We fight against foreclosures and water shut offs in Detroit, amongst other working class struggles. We meet every Monday night from 7-9pm

2. I’m really glad you enjoyed the space, Emma. All the folks there are really kind, and I passed this on to a few people who work/base their activism out of there, as I’m sure they’ll appreciate your kind words!!

3. Charles B Vazquez

“KIND OF MR. ROBOT-Y”

Reminds me of the description that the second speaker at the Che Guevara event gave about when he met the revolutionary.

It’s so great to read about an activist group that cares SO MUCH about the community and puts that much work into teaching how to speak with them respectfully. After the fiasco that is MUFI, I needed something reassuring, and this did the trick. Thanks, Bash. That’s a dope story.