Week Seven – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Seven

When I think back on all of the experiences from this program the one that really stands out to me is the Juneteenth event. Everything about the experience was surprising and awe-inspiring. From the inconspicuous house that was a wide open space on the inside to the emotional and powerful performances. I remember sitting nervously and fighting with myself, on one hand wanting to push out of my comfort zone and participate and on the other hand hoping I wouldn’t be called upon. However, there never came a point where I felt I had to do something I wasn’t comfortable with and by the end I felt like I wanted to participate, not because I felt like I should but because I felt like I could and I wanted to. Seeing people speak so passionately for causes they care about and use different ways of sharing their message such as songs and poetry was something I wasn’t expecting and wasn’t used to. Hearing those messages portrayed differently has really caused them to stick with me and feel connected to them.