Week Eight: Group Meeting Reflections – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Eight: Group Meeting Reflections

Throughout the program, my favorite group meetings have definitely been the ones that have involved history! History has always intrigued me and has remained one of my favorite subjects since elementary school. Not only is it simply interesting and cool to learn about, but it is such an important thing that I wish everyone valued as much as it should be. If we are not careful, history truly does repeat itself – which appears to already be happening time and time again in today’s time.

The “Detroit 67” event that we attended was definitely one of my favorites. One of my classes last year spent a lot of time studying the events that unfolded during the summer of ’67, so it was such an amazing experience learning about it more from a new, fresh perspective. I really enjoyed when our guide asked us how we would label the events – whether we’d call it a “riot,” “rebellion,” etc. – both at the beginning of the tour and at the end. I noticed that a lot of people’s choice of words changed, and I think that simple exercise proves the importance of history. Words carry a lot of power and weight behind them, and learning about history helps us choose the right ones.

1 thought on “Week Eight: Group Meeting Reflections”

1. I liked the Detroit 67 event too. Even though I knew some things about it, it was nice to be an interactive exhibit that really brought the past to life, especially since such personal touches were added.