Week 9 – Reflecting – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 9 – Reflecting

Rereading my letter to myself from Week 1 has encouraged me to reflect on these busy, full 9 weeks I’ve spent in Detroit. So much has happened in a relatively short amount of time, and I’m so glad to have the opportunity to debrief them a bit.

First, I am immensely thankful for the people I met and had the privilege to connect with, both at my placement and in the program. I hope I keep these friends well after we are finished in Detroit this summer, and I think I will definitely continue to be involved with Voices for Earth Justice.

My expectations for learning about the city of Detroit were definitely surpassed. I feel like I am just beginning to understand the character of this city, as well as the challenges Detroit residents are facing. I’m excited to continue to learn about this city, and I’m thankful this summer gave me the opportunity to start to realize what is happening in Detroit.

Living in Ann Arbor, I am so close to Detroit geographically, but I never made the effort to understand the city. I’m hoping I will continue my quest to connect with Detroit even after I move away.

1 thought on “Week 9 – Reflecting”

1. Hey Chloe! Since Ann Arbor is so close to Detroit, I definitely hope I will continue making frequent visits back once we leave as well. I would love to maintain connections and continue networking with individuals and agencies in Detroit in the future.