As one of the youngest individuals at my placement, I knew coming in that age may be an issue. When it comes to deciding about the education of Detroit students, the conversation can get intense with all of the differing opinions and backgrounds. Being that I am the youngest, sometimes it felt as if I was having a meeting with my family about education instead of my colleagues. In order to navigate this, my perspective is used as the voice of a student in this current state of the world. The climate and culture of schools has drastically changed since my colleagues were early learners. Along with that, working with predominantly Black individuals has its perks. Most times, I feel as if I have known my colleagues for years because of they way we connect on a cultural level through storytelling of our childhood or excitement for yearly family reunions. Other times, I wonder how things would be differently if our workspace was more diverse. Although most of the student population within DPSCD is Black, I believe students could benefit from having knowledge immersed within their education from individuals from all walks of life. All in all, I truly enjoy my placement because of the home-like feel which creates a comfortable working environment.

2 thoughts on “Week 4”

1. Sarah Meiwen Thong

I think it’s interesting trying to navigate these tense conversations/ decisions that everyone is clearly so invested in as a newcomer, but that’s cool that you can bring a new perspective!

2. Haley Ruth Divis

I can relate to what you mentioned about how the climate has changed since your colleagues were early learners. I think talking to people especially from older generations can require a lot of patience and listening sometimes because change is difficult to embrace sometimes. But everybody has valuable perspectives and I think it’s great that you are able to give yours!