Week 6 Update! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6 Update!

Working with my community partner, Chandler Park Conservancy, during week 6 has probably been one of the most eventful weeks! One thing I am passionate about is finding ways to benefit our environment. I will be teaching youth 8-11 about environmental stewardship, specifically, stormwater management and water taking place in our ecosystem. This week I have been preparing for my lesson plan while helping orchestrate the environmental summer camp and sports camp. The hardest thing about this week is that the Summer /environmental camps are starting at the Conservancy and I won’t be able to be on-site to help and meet the youth through these events. However, I am beyond grateful to have helped plan and advertise in a short amount of time to make it happen.

I also wrote an article for Chandler Park Conservancy to promote their new marshland. Before this project I never knew the logistics of how a marshland functioned, but now that I do I believe more should surround the city to solve its flooding problem. Chandler Park Conservancy marshland holds over 2.5 million gallons of water and will supply life to new native species and attract critters and friendly animals such as frogs, ducks and even snakes! Also, I’m trying to secure a donation for the parks new Skatepark before the internship ends.

I can’t believe the program is almost over, it flew by insanely fast! However, I enjoyed all of weeks and proud to see and have helped with the new developments at Chandler Park. 🙂

1 thought on “Week 6 Update!”

1. It sounds like you have a lot of responsibility at your site and a really important project! It must be difficult creating a remote lesson plan for the kids, or helping to facilitate the camp without being there. Good luck at your placement for the rest of the program!