Figuring Stuff Out – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Figuring Stuff Out

Summer of 2020 was probably the weirdest summer I’ve experienced. Honestly, when reflecting, I feel kind of sad. A lot of my summer felt like avoidance, pushing things later and later, running from reality. The “acceptance” of what was took longer than I expected. Consequently, I wasn’t as present in my life as I would’ve liked. A lot of experiences didn’t blossom into what I had hoped for. Yet, I know it’s never too late to give your experiences meaning. I am hoping I can continue to think back and reflect to this time. I hope I can fully realize what it meant to be a student, to be human, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. There are so many emotions I feel, but have yet to explore. I am slowly reaching the point where I am ready to break these feelings down and understand them. I’m excited for that.

2 thoughts on “Figuring Stuff Out”

1. Hey Ruchita. I relate to a lot of what you’re expressing—this summer has been bizarre in so many ways. It’s sad that the world is the way it is. It’s sad (to a lesser degree to be sure) that our summer plans didn’t come through as we’d anticipated. But I’m encouraged by your optimism. Hopefully we’ll all see growth in our reflections upon this summer.

2. Hey Ruchita, I completely understand what you mean. I have felt the same since the pandemic took over and it has only been exacerbated with everything else happening in the world right now. A lot of our plans for 2020 have been replaced or taken down. It seems as though so much has come to point this year. However, I do love your point about understanding what it means to be human. What it means to stare down these social injustices happening at the forefront of the world and as students knowing this year will forever go down as a significant point in history. We have a lot to reflect on what has been our summer before returning back to ‘student’ mode but I’m hoping from such reflections, we grow.