Week 2: Working with Community Development Advocates of Detroit – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 2: Working with Community Development Advocates of Detroit

Hi everyone, happy second week of work!

And what a second week it has been, right? I have been placed with the Community Development Advocates of Detroit and I was very interested in receiving this placement, although it wasn’t my first choice initially!

CDAD prides themself in being a “catalyst for the transformation of Detroit neighborhoods led and inspired by residents, community-based organizations and other community stakeholders.” (a description taken directly from their website). CDAD is an organization that relies on the action and interest from its members. They specialize in enhancing community development, and neighborhood improvement. They focus on assisting their members through educating on issue advocacy, tech assistance, advocacy, information sharing, etc.

Over the course of my summer, I will be diving into learning about Public Policy in Detroit. In specific, one of the projects I will be working on will be educating myself on the “Right to Counsel” movement in relation to evictions in Detroit. The right to counsel movement will allow tenants of homes to be able to receive legal assistance if they are at risk of being evicted. Housing should be viewed as a human right and advocates are working to establish a right to legal counsel for low-income Detroit residents that face eviction. CDAD is preparing a Right to Counsel Zoom Event where we will be educating people on this issue.

Similarly, I am working on learning about the American Rescue Plan (or the COVID-19 Stimulus Package) and how that is going to impact Detroit. CDAD is working closely with their members to outline where their members want the money to be allocated, and how they believe it should be distributed. There is talks about planning meetings with the Mayor of Detroit as well.

The DCERP experience has been going well– although I wish we were all in person, hanging out in dorm rooms, or going out after work– I’m beginning to feel grateful for what I’ve got in the first place. I hope to get to know all of you more as the months progress! 🙂

Link to CDAD website: https://cdad-online.org/

2 thoughts on “Week 2: Working with Community Development Advocates of Detroit”

1. This sounds like an awesome project, I’m excited to hear about the rest of your summer when the time comes! The information you provided about Right to Counsel is really interesting, and I think that is so important for the people of Detroit. From your description, I can tell your program placement places the people first, and commits themselves to helping the people of Detroit in so many different ways.
    In regards to DCERP, I completely agree with everything you said! For sure, the in person experience would have been so different and so much fun to get to hangout together and experience the city together. Nonetheless, we will definitely have a rewarding summer and get to know each other more!

2. Hey Yasmine,

Your project regarding the right to counsel movement sounds really interesting and I’d love to hear more about it as the summer progresses. One of my projects is also about learning about the American Rescue Plan and how the Detroit community would like to see it benefit the city.

It was also great seeing you at the CDAD Policy Committee Meeting this past week!