Week 6: In-person at last – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6: In-person at last

This week marks the first week I’ve been to my site in person. I got to meet my co-workers in person for the first time and everyone is really nice. The vibes at LGBT Detroit are really positive and welcoming. We actually started Wednesday morning watching Loki before working. You’re permitted to nap while working (not that I do), and you can eat and work whenever you want. There’s an in-building kitchen where you can cook. The campus of LGBT Detroit is built to be a safe space and that’s what it feels like. It’s crazy because the campus is right around the corner from the house my cousins used to live at when I was a kid. Everything seems a lot closer to me than I originally thought. Also, I have been co-opted into doing an impromptu voter registration event at a gas station with one of my co-workers. I don’t know if we’re going to get a lot of people signing up but I hope so.

Hotter Than July is right around the corner, so I’ve had an increase in workload with volunteers and managing them. I have about 10 volunteers already so I need 25 more. It doesn’t seem like much but the event is in 2 weeks so I’m a little worried. In the meantime, I’ve been assigned random tasks to stay busy, which isn’t bad. It’s been accommodating, and not too stressful in it itself. I hope to have more updates next week.

2 thoughts on “Week 6: In-person at last”

1. Lillith,
    your workplace sounds amazing, I’m envious. A voter registration at a gas station sounds like a really good idea to me; a lot of foot traffic means that you might have more opportunities to talk to people/get them registered. Plus, you have a coworker to help you out 🙂

2. Tottionna Bushell

Hello Lillith,

It’s really cool that you got to visit your site in real-person. I feel like the environment is always different in-person than online! I also think it’s amazing that you found the vibes to be welcoming.

Best,

Totti